The “real” first post on this nascent blog — and welcome to anyone directed here by the holiday card — is all about one of my favorite pastimes: music discovery.
While I am miles away from Rob Fleming (of High Fidelity fame for the uninitiated), and the connoisseurs at Pitchfork will find no threat here to their fine (if slightly, ahem, precious) work, last year I began to keep better tabs on the new songs that I enjoyed the most.
A top five found its way to my 2012 holiday card, and this year I couldn’t narrow it down. (This is perhaps correlated to the fact that I, uh, had considerably more listening time this year).
Instead I expanded to include a top five in a few categories. And then included way more in the form of honorable mentions galore. (Hey, you got a problem go make your own list. ;-)
This is the TL;DR version — just artist and song info for my top picks. Subsequent posts go into more detail and include the numerous honorable mentions.
1. Arcade Fire – Reflektor
2. Night Drive – Drones
3. The Strokes – One Way Trigger
4. Vampire Weekend – Step
5. The National – Graceless
Dulcet Tones (Melodies/Electronic)
1. HAERTS – Wings
2. Phantogram – Black Out Days
3. Black Light Dinner Party – Older Together
4. Elliphant – Down on Life
5. Tove Lo – Habits
1. Phoenix – Trying to be Cool (Chainsmokers Remix)
2. Bloc Party – Truth (Digitalism Remix)
3. Major Lazer – Get Free (Bonde do Role remix)
4. Du Tonc – Darkness
5. Holden – Renata
1. Son Lux – Lost it to Trying
2. Jez Dior – So Move
Finally, for the record…
2012 Top Five
1. RAC Feat. Penguin Prison – Hollywood (Magician Remix)
2. Kolumbo – My Own Business
3. Beach House – Troublemaker
4. Sun Airway – Close
5. Punch Brothers – Movement and Location